Home » About » Stay Informed » Media Releases » Fire at St. Joseph Cathedral Rectory

Fire at St. Joseph Cathedral Rectory

December 11, 2020 

Statement Regarding This Morning’s Fire at
Saint Joseph Cathedral Rectory

(MANCHESTER) – At approximately 5:00 this morning, the residents of the Cathedral Rectory at 145 Lowell Street were alerted to smoke coming from a basement room. The Manchester Fire Department responded and quickly put out a small fire, which had been caused by a malfunctioning electrical device.

No one was injured in the incident. The Rectory suffered some smoke and water damage but remains habitable, and the Cathedral itself was never in danger.

“While we have a lot of cleaning up to do, nobody was hurt and that is the most important thing,” said Fr. Jason Jalbert, Rector and Pastor of Saint Joseph Cathedral. “I am incredibly grateful to the Manchester Fire Department for their swift response, which kept the damage to a minimum.”

# # #

The Diocese of Manchester is the Roman Catholic Church in New Hampshire, serving the needs of nearly 235,000 Catholics. For more information, please visit www.catholicnh.org/overview.